Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Ouch,My Brain Hurts: Rigor in the Classroom! - The Educator's PLN

Ouch,My Brain Hurts: Rigor in the Classroom! - The Educator's PLN:


Ouch,My Brain Hurts: Rigor in the Classroom!

Popout
I watched this video, and cracked up! I was trying to find articles about rigor and bumped into this video. It's a bit long in making its point, but I get it. This poor teacher is being hounded by her principal, to "perform" , so that her students can learn the parts of speech.
Personally, I don't have a problem with rigor in the classroom, I embrace it. I love how a contributor to the article, Rigor:What Does It Mean to You?, described rigor. She said,"Rigor makes you want to get up in the morning and learn something new!"
But, I can understand the consternation and frustration of the teacher in the video.  Her principal is dead set on making her use "rigor" in her classroom, this magical thing that can make students learn. It seems as if the principal is looking for "rigor",  as if it's a word that can be checked off on an evaluation form, and it is so far from