Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Recess…for teachers « Cooperative Catalyst

Recess…for teachers « Cooperative Catalyst:



Recess…for teachers















I distributed report cards to my students on Friday.  And although I didn’t keep track of how long it took me to write report cards, it wasn’t a quick and dirty activity.  In fact, writing report cards begins weeks before they are actually due.  And, I’m referring to the act of writing comments and/or determining student marks on the various descriptors for all the elementary subjects that I teach – English and Spanish language arts, science, math, social studies, health, and art.  And, for the last two years we have had to report on three “ends statements” – character in learning, citizenship in learning, and personal development through learning.  So, that’s seven marks and seven comments this marking period.  I have 24 students, which means I wrote 168 distinctly, meaningful comments (or at least I was supposed to) and gave 168 marks.  That boggles my mind!
Before I go any further, though, I need to confess that while I have wanted to write this blog post since November 2011, I have hesitated numerous times because I feel nervous about going public on this topic; it is a touchy issue at our school.  I finally decided I needed to say something because I need to get some perspective on this issue from the readers of this blog.  Maybe I’m making too much out of this and I should just buckle down and