Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

All Things Education: Parent Jiggernaut Follow-Up: Opting out vs. Opting In

All Things Education: Parent Jiggernaut Follow-Up: Opting out vs. Opting In:


Parent Jiggernaut Follow-Up: Opting out vs. Opting In

Some people have asked me why we don't opt our kids out of testing such as this movement encourages people to do. That is definitely under consideration. My reluctance with that is two-fold:

1) I see value in the disruptive route--there are many ways to effect change. I am grateful to have been made aware of my rights as a parent and I see value in publicizing those rights. All power to unitedoptout. But I am not a disruptor. I'm a persuader. I'd much rather try to reason with people first, citing evidence, and then try to work something out collaboratively with out being disruptive, especially if children are involved.

2) Even if I did opt my kids out of the official standardized tests (in my state of Virginia they are the SOLs), that would not change everything that leads up to the test or everything that the tests drive. In fact, if there really were only four testing days (in 3rd grade there are four SOL tests) with four tests at the end of the school year, I would not care so much. I might not care at all. It's everything else that bothers me. I don't want to opt out of the tests