Naturally, the mayor has proposed cutting back on library services because library funding interferes with TIF money
Saturday, November 5, 2011
“Should I feel bad that I let my son watch age-appropriate education programs on TV and learn things like a second language?… Shame on me for letting my child play chess and math games on my iPad?…Is it really outrageous that I let my son sit on my lap in front of my computer so I could help him type his first love letter while in preschool?… When used appropriately with guidance, there’s nothing wrong with technology for kids.” Beth Lambert, New York City October 26, 2011
What triggered this parent’s letter to the editor of the New York Times was an article in the paper the previous week on a low-tech Waldorf school in Los Altos (CA) that bans high-tech devices for instruction until the 8th
“Dad, if ants are so strong why can’t we just make really big machines that are built like ants and can carry heavy stuff for us?” Joel asks me.
Being a first-grader, I struggle with how to teach the difficulty of scalability.
“Sometimes things that work in small spaces don’t work when they get too big,” I tell him.
“Show me,” he dares.
So we build a small Lego structure that works wonderfully as at four inches tall. However when we attempt to create a human-size version it collapses.
“That’s the problem,” I tell him.
I don’t get into the formulas involved, but he’s able to grasp in a very tangible way that small things when scaled to larger spaces don’t always function as well.
I’ve been re-reading Socrates lately. I find it interesting that the same man (presumably) who had engaged in
Mr. Kendrick was the featured speaker at the Wednesday Work Session on Capacity Management and, despite a long PowerPoint (that he powered thru - staff take note), he was clear and concise. And, boy is he a guy who likes his work - his enthusiasm for demographics was right out there.
Second, I'll get to what he said but I feel a deep sadness to what he told the room. Why? Because our district could have been tracking this all along and somehow didn't. We have a demographer who is a very nice person but somehow all this data eluded staff. We had parents, in all corners of the city, telling the district about
Big Education Ape Todays News / Archive
- ► May (1115)
- ► April (1415)
- ► March (1423)
- ► February (1321)
- ► January (1488)
- ► December (1396)
- ► November (1392)
- ► October (1447)
- ► September (1398)
- ► August (1425)
- ► July (1381)
- ► June (1391)
- ► May (1566)
- ► April (1473)
- ► March (1607)
- ► February (1541)
- ► January (1510)
- ► December (1500)
- School Tech Connect: A Day In The Life
- Digital Parents and Low-Tech Schools | Larry Cuban...
- The Problem Is Older Than the Factory « Cooperativ...
- Save Seattle Schools Community Blog: Seattle Schoo...
- Big Education Ape: 11-5-11 PM Occupy the DOE! EDit...
- Today's Big Education Ape - PostRank Top Early Eve...
- KOCH OUT NEWS www.kochwatch.org
- NY Times: “All Americans Should Feel Ashamed” Of A...
- Election memories. « Fred Klonsky's blog
- Schools Matter: Invest in protecting children from...
- Modern School: Can Good Teaching Overcome Poverty?...
- Statement by the President on Hajj and Eid al-Adha...
- Saturday coffee. « Fred Klonsky's blog
- Schooling in the Ownership Society: Imagine, Inc.:...
- NYC Public School Parents: Occupy the DOE! Join us...
- Bill Gates' Big Play: How Much Can Money Buy in Ed...
- Schooling in the Ownership Society: Corporate "ref...
- Today's Big Education Ape - PostRank Top Mid Day P...
- Save Seattle Schools Community Blog: Bombs or Brid...
- Anti-bullying legislation attacked for allowing bu...
- All Education Matters: A Few Thoughts: Washington ...
- The Occupations Report: 11/04 | Occupy Together #...
- Chicago 1968, Seattle l999, and now Occupy 2011 | ...
- Jersey Jazzman: Our Student Debt Crisis
- Engaging Parents In School… - The Best Ideas On Ho...
- Should legislators meddle in sex education (and ot...
- Jeb Bush Dodges Accountability for NAEP Scores | S...
- Guest Column: Evaluations ignore education factors...
- Last Week's Best Posts on Big Education Ape » Post...
- Big Education Ape: 11-5-11 AM Bleak Portrait of Po...
- Damn Good Education Daily #EDCHAT #ows
- Today's Big Education Ape - PostRank Top AM Posts ...
- Defining a teacher’s worth
- Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teach...
- Re:education in Baltimore – Fishbowl Edition | Re:...
- Page not found | Seattle Education
- Madison Prep, More Questions than Answers | AMPS
- The Raw Hypocrisy of Florida’s Tax Credit Scholars...
- My Real Issue is Human Development | Lefty Parent
- ▼ Nov 05 (39)
- ► October (1537)
- ► September (1516)
- ► August (1569)
- ► July (1487)
- ► June (1381)
- ► May (1407)
- ► April (1470)
- ► March (1544)
- ► February (1374)
- ► January (1316)
- ► December (1320)
- ► November (1218)
- ► October (1382)
- ► September (1265)
- ► August (841)
- ► July (1262)
- ► June (1714)
- ► May (1614)
- ► April (1914)
- ► March (1638)
- ► February (1180)
- ► January (1153)
- ► December (971)
- ► November (1008)
- ► October (905)
- ► September (741)
- ► August (358)