Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

All Education Matters: Assessing the Integrity of Individuals and Institutions Connected to Higher Education

All Education Matters: Assessing the Integrity of Individuals and Institutions Connected to Higher Education:

Assessing the Integrity of Individuals and Institutions Connected to Higher Education

As an advocate for student loan debtors, I've been around the block more than once. That means I've gotten to know most of the players, as well as the victims, in this scheme. This evening I went to do some investigative research at a Baptist Church. I signed up to listen to someone talk about all the ways you can save money when you send your kids to college. I was polite, took my notes, and pretty much listened. However, I did want everyone in that room know that by June of 2012, outstanding student loan debt will hit $1 TRILLION.

When this college guidance guru asked the crowd how much a year of tuition, plus living expenses, and books cost, a lot of concerned parents threw out very accurate numbers. (This was not a dumb crowd, even though the speaker, to some degree, spoke down to us). Nope. These folks were smart, and knew a thing or two. So, once