Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Declining Teacher Salaries Leave Many with Low Morale | West Orlando News Online #sosmarch

Declining Teacher Salaries Leave Many with Low Morale | West Orlando News Online 2011® Central Florida News, Info, Sports:

Declining Teacher Salaries Leave Many with Low Morale


Stephanie Rothman has done the math. On her roughly $48,000 a year salary, the 15-year high school English teacher in Broward County barely gets by.

In the last year, Rothman has had to abandon a Boca Raton home she could no longer afford, moving into a room at a friend’s house and feels “cynical and hopeless” about her financial prospects.

“I love teaching, I was born to teach,” Rothman said. “But I feel there is no way I can sustain a living with just teaching. So that is why I decided to