Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

NYC Educator: They're Going Baaaaaack...

NYC Educator: They're Going Baaaaaack...:

They're Going Baaaaaack...

Mama and Papa Eyre were always very fond of the Staples commercial from back in the '90s, a screenshot of which is posted at left. It depicted a father joyously back-to-school shopping while two miserable-looking children trudged behind him, scored to Andy Williams' "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year." And Miss Eyre can certainly hear the parents of her young charges counting the seconds until Miss Eyre and her colleagues have to put up with them
All joking aside, though, I'm pretty ready to go back. In fact, I'm going in today to survey what kind of havoc summer school and custodial overhauling may have left in its wake in my classroom, so I can start organizing and decorating. I'm trying to take Friday off, so if I get a lot done today and tomorrow, I still have one more genuine vacation day all to myself.

I'm not sure if I've ever felt so excited and simultaneously so full of dread about going back to work. The pluses: I love my school; I've never worked for such reasonable, smart, supportive administrators as I do now; I'll get to