Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, May 17, 2010

Catholics Expel 8-Year Old Boy for Having Gay Parents | California Progress Report

Catholics Expel 8-Year Old Boy for Having Gay Parents | California Progress Report

Catholics Expel 8-Year Old Boy for Having Gay Parents


By Dan Aiello

An 8-year old Catholic boy became the latest casualty in his church's war against same-sex marriage when the third-grader was kicked out of his Massachusetts elementary school after school administrators learned his parents are lesbians.
Administrators of St. Paul Elementary, a private Roman Diocese Catholic school in Hingham, Massachusetts, withdrew the student's admission this week after they learned the boy's parents are lesbians.
"We weren’t hiding," stated one of the mothers of the boy, who spoke on condition of anonymity to protect her son from further harm. She confirmed both parents listed their names on their son’s admission forms. "I’m accustomed to discrimination, I suppose, at my age and my experience as a gay woman, but I didn’t expect it against my child."
read more