Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, August 25, 2016

Shouldn’t Our Schools At Least be as Logical as Dental Floss? | gadflyonthewallblog

Shouldn’t Our Schools At Least be as Logical as Dental Floss? | gadflyonthewallblog:

Shouldn’t Our Schools At Least be as Logical as Dental Floss?

Girl-flossing1
All my life I assumed flossing was essential to dental health.
It was safe, it was sound, it was normal.
Every day after brushing, I would stand before the bathroom mirror and carefully thread a mint-flavored filament through my teeth – like a chump.
And when I got to the dentist, I’d comfort myself that I had done the best I could to prevent cavities.
The hygienist would remove plaque and germs while scraping and sawing at my teeth with a specialized hook, and all the while I’d think, “At least I flossed every day!”
Yet now the federal government tells us that flossing is ineffective at best!
What!? After all these years!?
It turns out, there just is no evidence that flossing actually helps – never has been. So this summer for the first time in decades the good folks who compile federal dietary guidelines decided not to recommend the practice.
A total of 25 studies have concluded that the evidence for flossing is “weak, very unreliable,” of “very low” quality, and carries “a moderate to large potential for Shouldn’t Our Schools At Least be as Logical as Dental Floss? | gadflyonthewallblog: