Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The Partnership for 19th Century Skills « Diane Ravitch's blog

The Partnership for 19th Century Skills « Diane Ravitch's blog:


The Partnership for 19th Century Skills

Yesterday the National Research Council released a report supporting the need to develop what it calls “deeper learning,” drawing on cognitive skills, interpersonal skills, and interpersonal skills. All of this sounds swell, excellent, worthy of doing and endorsing. I’m for it. Yes, yes, yes.
But I could not help but be reminded of something I wrote a few years ago. It was in response to a great hullaballoo about 21st century skills. The hullaballoo grew so insistent and so loud that I did my contrarian thing and decided that what we are really missing in our society is what I thought of as 19th century skills.
I don’t know how different they are from 21 century skills, but they are worth talking about, and I would say,



When Romney Speaks in Louisiana on Monday

A reader tells me that Mitt Romney will be speaking at the Press Club in Baton Rouge on Monday.
I hope that journalists in Louisiana are ready to ask him some tough questions.
Ask him if he approves of using taxpayer dollars to send children to religious schools.
Ask him if he approves of spending public money to send kids to schools that teach creationism, not evolution.
Ask him if he knows that New Orleans is the next to the lowest scoring district in the state.
Ask him if he knows that 79% of the charters in New Orleans were graded either with a D or an F by the state.