Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

NYC Public School Parents: The DOE-invented credit recovery scam and how it infected my school

NYC Public School Parents: The DOE-invented credit recovery scam and how it infected my school

The DOE-invented credit recovery scam and how it infected my school

For more on how credit recovery has led to accelerated rates of credit accumulation, especially at the new small schools, see Jackie Bennett at EdWize. But the practice of passing students, regardless of whether they have actually attended class or done homework, has become widespread at many, if not most, high schools throughout NYC, as schools are pressured to raise their statistics or else be threatened with closure. Below is the account of a teacher who, for obvious reasons, would like to remain anonymous.
At my school for the past two years my principal has been using what have become simply known as "packets"