Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The dying art of cursive | Being Latino Online Magazine

The dying art of cursive | Being Latino Online Magazine

The dying art of cursive

by Cindy Tovar

There’s something pleasant about putting pen to paper and writing down your thoughts. Handwriting feels more personal than putting your hands on a keyboard and typing on a screen. I’ve never completely gotten used to thinking creatively and typing, simultaneously. I can do it, but it’s just not the same.

Even now, as I type this, I’m simply transferring what I’ve written in my notebook, because that’s how I learned to express my thoughts – on paper. It’s like a hard-wired connection that runs between my brain and my right hand that refuses to be rewired.

For the younger generation, it’s different. They’re growing up in a digital world. Instead of sending letters, they