Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, March 18, 2011

Education Support Professionals are Incredible - Lily's Blackboard – Lily's Blackboard

Education Support Professionals are Incredible - Lily's Blackboard – Lily's Blackboard

Education Support Professionals are Incredible

I’m incredible.

I was diagnosed several years ago as humility challenged. I’m on medication. It’s not working. I still think I’m incredible.

I make it my business to be incredible. It’s the natural outcome of lessons from my father. He would tell us, “Do more than they asked. Do it better than they expected. You’ll never get fired. They’ll fire your boss before they fire you.”

I was thinking about my Pa in these days of turmoil and attack from politicians against educators and our collective voice, our unions and associations. When Pa retired from the Army, he got a job with the FAA and became a shop steward in his union – a public sector union. He believed in his responsibility to help his union. He believed in his responsibility to be an incredible worker. This was his union work ethic.

I am also thinking of my Pa because he was a man who worked with his hands as a mechanic. He never went to college. He never even finished high school. He