Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, March 18, 2011

A Letter from my Brother to my Son « Bill Ayers

A Letter from my Brother to my Son « Bill Ayers

A Letter from my Brother to my Son

Letter to a young teacher

by Rick Ayers

Huffington Post Blog

March 15, 2011

So my nephew Malik, a fabulous renaissance man who has taught sixth grade math, science, and Spanish as well as coaching basketball and baseball for the last six years, was given a pink slip. Again. It’s a March ritual around here. School districts are dealing with slashed budgets and are not certain of enrollment. In response they send out a flurry of layoff notices. I’m pretty sure Malik will be hired back. He’s got some time in, he’s a beloved teacher, and he is extremely successful teaching students in his working class and low-resourced middle school.

But the whole thing is infuriating. I texted him to say I hoped he was doing OK. He texted back, telling me that he would never advise a friend to go into this profession. I was so sad to think about this response, the kind of