Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, July 29, 2013

Missouri Education Watchdog: Common Core Standards Creation: "I'm Just No Good at Kindergarten": Part II

Missouri Education Watchdog: Common Core Standards Creation: "I'm Just No Good at Kindergarten": Part II:

Common Core Standards Creation: "I'm Just No Good at Kindergarten": Part II


Maybe this is progress you don't want for your kindergartner. Is this what Common Core represents? 


Do you remember Claire Wapole's article about her daughter testing in kindergarten with computers and her daughter's tearful statement about her performance?  From  I'm just no good at kindergarten, just no good at all:

Clickclickclickclickclickclickclick.  It took a half dozen or so clicks before the window closed and the little test taker with the big bow in her hair was back to her assessment. This was played out again, and again and again, throughout the duration of the test. In a perfect world, where all the computers worked, testing conditions would be less frustrating. But it's the real world, and a five year old could click on the wrong thing, and accidentally leave the test. Even when they do click on the button they want, the computers don't always respond to their commands. I know it's a computer or mouse glitch, but I can't help but wonder how many of these kids think it's their fault. I heard "I can't do this"