Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Parenting Like a Principal | Connected Principals

Parenting Like a Principal | Connected Principals:


Parenting Like a Principal


Today, as I sat with a child in my office, one of the most fascinating discussions of my entire career began to ensue. Mind you, this particular student wasn’t kicked out of class, or called in for cutting. As a matter of fact, he’s not even enrolled in our high school.
This was my 5th grade son, affectionately referred to on Twitter as “EmerKid2.”

A little backdrop: Our son has recently been struggling with bringing home all of his homework materials. Today, yet again, he forgot an important textbook that he urgently needed for a pressing assignment. My wife was taking our kids out to dinner at a local restaurant as a special treat, and we agreed that it didn’t feel appropriate to include our 5th grader in this reward on the heels of this repeated offense.

Instead of enjoying a night on the town, EmerKid2 came to sit in my office and reflect on his behavior. When he