Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, July 13, 2012

Some Parents Think Segregation Is Wrong. Me Too. « Diane Ravitch's blog

Some Parents Think Segregation Is Wrong. Me Too. « Diane Ravitch's blog:


Some Parents Think Segregation Is Wrong. Me Too.

This post contains one of the comments on the Minnesota charter story that I missed while my Internet service was down.
It contributes more to the discussion earlier about whether segregation is okay if it is voluntary.
Let me add that I have never supported the creation of public schools (are charters still public schools?) that welcome one race, one cultural group, one point of view, one group to the exclusion of others. I got death threats twenty years ago when I criticized Afrocentrism, and since then I have criticized Hebrew-language charter schools and an Arabic-language public school. My view is that if there is a demand for a foreign language, it should be taught in public school, but should not be the focus of the curriculum; that way tends towards