Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, July 13, 2012

Those #%$$$&* Cyber Charters « Diane Ravitch's blog

Those #%$$$&* Cyber Charters « Diane Ravitch's blog:


Those #%$$$&* Cyber Charters

As time goes by, as I learn more about cyber charters, I become more convinced that they are legal fraud.
The last time I wrote something critical about cyber charters, a day or so ago, it was because Pennsylvania approved four more, even though the ones it has get terrible ratings, terrible test scores, terrible everything.
Not surprisingly I received several comments from people who said they are parents of children in cyber charters, and they are very happy.
Right.
And then I saw this article on Twitter a few minutes ago. The FBI is investigating the head of one of the first


Merit Pay, the Undead Policy Idea

I just finished writing about the history of merit pay and I was struck by a simple fact: Merit pay has been tried again and again and again and again, and it died again and again and again and again.
Study after study says it made no difference.
Teachers don’t like it.
It doesn’t raise test scores.
But it never dies.
It is the Undead Policy Idea. It is the Dracula of American education.
Despite the absence of any evidence whatsoever, the U.S. Department of Education got Congress to authorize


Perils of Life in the Age of the Internet

About 7 pm EST yesterday, my Internet service died a quick death.
When it went down, it took out my access to the Internet, the telephone, and the television.
That happened as I was trying to post the news about Camika Royal’s article on Huffington Post.
I had to use my cell phone to get it posted, my cell having 3G.
Where I am now (not in NYC), cell phone service is spotty, and I had a hard time getting through to the local cable company.
The upshot was that I was offline for 24 hours.
I got Internet access back about an hour ago, and am still waiting for a repair crew to restore the telephone.


Where the Jobs Are

Thanks to Sharon Higgins for supplying the latest estimate from the Bureau of Labor Statistics about where the jobs are for the next several years.
She sent this comment:
Here’s more evidence of the mismatch between “College-for-All” and the STEM push and what the Bureau of Labor Statistics projects. A huge number of upcoming jobs require only a high school diploma or less. See Table 1. Occupations with the fastest growth, projected 2010-20 and Table 2. Occupations with the largest numeric growth, projected 2010-20 @http://www.bls.gov/ooh/about/projections-overview.htm
If I read the chart correctly, we will need many more nurses, nurses aides, home health care aides, retail clerks,


Is Segregation OK if It is By Choice?

I received a long response from Joe Nathan in response to my post about segregation in the charter schools of Minnesota.
My post included a link to an article by John Hechinger of Bloomberg News about charter schools in that state that are one-race or one-ethnic group.
The question Joe Nathan’s response raises is this: Is segregation in a public facility (remember, charter schools say they are public schools) commendable so long as the individuals there choose to be segregated?
My problem is that I am old enough to remember that segregationists in the South in the 1950s advocated


Do You Want to See Camika’s Great Speech?

If you are following the saga of Dr. Camika Royal, you will remember that Gary Rubinstein posted a video of her addressing the Philadelphia summer institute of TFA, some 700 young people who will work in the Philadelphia public schools (which is laying off teachers).
Gary sent the video to me, and I wrote a post, but before I could put it online, the video mysteriously disappeared. There was some pushback, as both Gary and I get an email from someone warning us that Camika was not going  to be used by “the anti-reform movement” and that she was a loyal servant of the reform movement.
Yesterday evening, I got a tweet from Camika, addressed to both me and Gary, with a new statement by Camika