Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

What Rodney King Meant To Me | The Jose Vilson

What Rodney King Meant To Me | The Jose Vilson:


What Rodney King Meant To Me


I have a student who already glorifies the idea of enrolling for the armed forces. He resolves every imaginary conflict with a shotgun or a mixed martial arts move. I’ve made it a running joke just to show how absurd he sounds every time he puts his fingers up in a shot-trigger motion. Yet, something unnerved me about him. For the last three years, I’ve worked on making him one of my student leaders, and thus, he reflects me in a way no other student in the building does.
His continued impersonation of local and federal officers made me wonder what would happen if his community asked him to keep the peace, where he might offer war.
Growing up, Rodney King symbolized the continued persecution of people of color by local police. It might have shocked the nation, but it only made those of us from the hood nod in unison. While the videotape kept rolling in