Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

DIARY OF A PUBLIC SCHOOL TEACHER!: "Ouch! My Brain Hurts!": Rigor in the Classroom

DIARY OF A PUBLIC SCHOOL TEACHER!: "Ouch! My Brain Hurts!": Rigor in the Classroom:


"Ouch! My Brain Hurts!": Rigor in the Classroom

Popout

I watched this video, and cracked up! I was trying to find articles about rigor and bumped into this video. It's a bit long in making its point, but I get it. This poor teacher is being hounded by her principal, to "perform" , so that her students can learn the parts of speech. I don't have a problem with rigor in the classroom, I embrace it.

I love how a contributor to the article, Rigor:What Does It Mean to You?, described rigor. She said,"Rigor makes 

Using QR Codes to Engage!

QRCode

I discovered QR codes about a year ago,  I read about them, downloaded a QR reader, and began to create my own codes. When I attended ISTE11, they were all over the place!  Silly me, I felt like one of the chosen when I had to demonstrate or explain what they were. :)

Well, eventually, the fun of it wore off, you can see them wherever you go, magazines, etc..., so now the question became, "How do I use QR codes in my classroom?" Or better yet, "Can I Use QR codes in My Classroom?" I was perusing Free Technology for Teachers in my Google Reader, and lo and behold, what did I see? A very, cool, way to use QR codes. Now, just to be fair, prior to seeing Bryne's article, I had already bookmarked Steve Anderson's "QR Codes in Education" Livebinder, Richard posted the  QR Treasure Hunt Generator  created by  Classtools.net .

 It was very simple to use and the title says it all.  You create questions. The questions are turned into QR