Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, December 30, 2011

What is a charter school? | Seattle Education

What is a charter school? | Seattle Education:

What is a charter school?

In 2009 when I began the original Seattle Education blog, the first words that I typed were “What is a Charter School?”. With those words I began to write an account of what I had learned from reading everything that I could find on the subject. And why an interest in charter schools? Because at the time, several of us had discovered that our Seattle Public School superintendent was a Broad graduate. We had learned that the Broad Foundation was all about charter schools and that was on the agenda for Seattle and the state of Washington as far as Eli Broad and other reformers were concerned.

Now it’s almost 2012 and the ed reform forces have begun to gather and descend upon our state in an attempt to privatize our public school system.

I have received many questions about charter schools recently and decided to do a series of posts on the subject. First I’ll start with the words that I began writing over two years ago:

What Is a Charter School?

The basic difference between a traditional public school and a privately run charter school is that