Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, December 30, 2011

Eight and a Half Things I Know Are True - Teacher in a Strange Land - Education Week Teacher

Eight and a Half Things I Know Are True - Teacher in a Strange Land - Education Week Teacher:

Eight and a Half Things I Know Are True

The usual end-of-year Janusian posts are springing up everywhere in Ed Blog world this week--the best and worst of 2011, bold predictions for the upcoming year. List-making draws readers. But I don't really have the heart to revisit the terrible and wonderful year just past--nor do I want to be embarrassed by my own starry-eyed prognostications, come December 2012.

I do like the idea of "Ten Things I Know to be True"--ideas that represent genuine reality, in my world, a roundup of verities. Try as I might, I couldn't come up with ten.

#1) Real school reformers do not spend their days perusing blogs, obsessing over their tweet numbers, engaging in online catfights or handicapping states' chances to win your tax dollars by being more compliant than other states. Real school reformers are mediating squabbles on the playground, revising an unsatisfactory lesson plan