Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, November 25, 2011

4LAKids - some of the news that doesn't fit: SCHOOL BOARD TRUSTEE BENNETT KAYSER OCCUPIES LAUSD #ows

4LAKids - some of the news that doesn't fit: SCHOOL BOARD TRUSTEE BENNETT KAYSER OCCUPIES LAUSD:

SCHOOL BOARD TRUSTEE BENNETT KAYSER OCCUPIES LAUSD

Silver Lake resident Kayser represents Los Angeles Unified School District 5, which includes Silver Lake and much of Echo Park.

OPINION BY BENNETT KAYSER IN THE ECHO PARK PATCH | HTTP://BIT.LY/SARHOK

November 23, 2011 - I am an admitted sympathizer with the Occupy movement. Recently individuals set up tents on the sidewalk outside the school district headquarters. I said to Peggy, my wife of 40 years, “Load up the Prius while I get the tent.” Then it occurred to me, I had already taken the most important step to “Occupy LAUSD," I was successfully elected to be an educational leader at the Los Angeles Unified School District. To the surprise of many, I defeated a better-funded opponent, giving me and others concerned with the fate of public education in our community great hope.

Everyday, I am working to support public education and the children of our community. I am a warrior against the status quo. We are in a battle against a well-funded opposition interested in privatizing education that has millions to spend promoting an Orwellian doublespeak that claims reform as their own and paints those who have actually worked in a classroom as defenders of the status quo.

Fellow activist Sue Peters of Seattle described the sorry situation we find ourselves in saying, “the status quo is currently a