Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, November 25, 2011

Thank you, Mr. B! - The Education Report - Katy Murphy's blog on Oakland schools

Thank you, Mr. B! - The Education Report - Katy Murphy's blog on Oakland schools:

Thank you, Mr. B!

By Katy Murphy
Thursday, November 24th, 2011 at 7:37 pm in teachers.

sweet
by thanker212, via flickr.com/creativecommons

This morning on NPR, there was a show (I tuned in late, but I think it was this segment on “Talk of the Nation”) dedicated to thanking a teacher who had made a difference in your life.

I thought of my sixth-grade English teacher, Mr. Belloumini, a quirky man who rarely stayed on topic and loved to tell long, circuitous stories. But Mr. B was the one who made me see writing as something other than a formula or a set of rules, who guided me through my first real short story and my first poem. I might have