Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, October 15, 2011

I Am the Ninety-Nine Percent, And Actually I’m Pissed « Cooperative Catalyst #ows

I Am the Ninety-Nine Percent, And Actually I’m Pissed « Cooperative Catalyst:

I Am the Ninety-Nine Percent, And Actually I’m Pissed

So, a few days back, I wrote about privilige and power. It might have come across as complacent or sanctimonious. However, I want to make this really clear: I’m pissed.

I’m pissed that we continue to fund war without question while parents schools are stuck hawking “holiday paper” (because, you know, there are a ton of people buying Kwanza presents), candied hams and cookie dough.

I’m pissed that my students spend almost a quarter of the year taking tests and that the annual 30 hour test is longer than the Bar Exam, the MCATS, the teacher certification test and pretty much every other test required of adult professionals.

I’m pissed that the laws are formed by transnational corporations who create curriculum, “advise” on standards, push for accountability and then provide the resources, tutoring and conferences that help people reach a