Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Democurmudgeon: Madison Preparatory Academy's Bizarre Plan Detached from Reality.

Democurmudgeon: Madison Preparatory Academy's Bizarre Plan Detached from Reality.:

Madison Preparatory Academy's Bizarre Plan Detached from Reality.

When I read the list of proposed requirements for Madison Preparatory Academy, a charter school like no other, I couldn’t imagine a family sustaining its extremist schedule. Kids do require parental participation to succeed, and I’m doing my best with my own elementary and middle school sons, but busy working families already involved will be stretched to surreal limits with Prep’s curriculum. In fact, I don’t know who would want to give up family life and force their kids to things they have no talent for or interest in:
WSJ: The first class of sixth-graders would attend school nearly year-round, be in class from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m., with mandatory sports and extracurricular activities running until at least 6 p.m. and possibly later.

Over the year, students would be required to participate in two sports, two other extracurricular