Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Schools Matter: Opting Out of Testing Continues to Expand

Schools Matter: Opting Out of Testing Continues to Expand:

Opting Out of Testing Continues to Expand

From Penn State professor and parent, Timothy Slekar, at Huffington Post:
"I'm not opting my kids out of testing again this year to bring focus to the tests. I'm doing it to take away the data from the advocates of choice and privatization. I'm saying NO! You will not use my kids in your attack on public schools. You will not use my kids to dismantle the entire public school system." -- Me.
"Cant we all just along?" "Don't we want a "big tent?" "Shouldn't we be "inclusive?" Yes. Sometimes. But there are moments when some issues must remain divisive.

My ultimate goal as an advocate for public schools is to make sure that the institution (American public education) survives the ruthless attack by market-based reformers that only have an interest in taking advantage of the money that remains locked up in the public system of education. Make no mistake about my position. Market-based reforms being pushed by a crowd of people unfamiliar with teaching and learning are trying to destroy the American public school system. And if they