Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, September 5, 2011

Schools Matter: Mathews Turns on Accountability? (Sort of) pt. 1

Schools Matter: Mathews Turns on Accountability? (Sort of) pt. 1:


Mathews Turns on Accountability? (Sort of) pt. 1

WaPo's Jay Mathews appears to have turned against accountability, "We may have accountability wrong," but I'm not sure if this is a sign of some hope or yet more evidence how many people simply don't get it. . .


Ultimately, we must recognize that the national standards movement (and the inherent increase in standardized testing) are distractions, wastes of time, and redundancies. My own commentary on national standards:


A case against standards


While I appreciate the invitation to respond to the draft version of the NCTE/NCATE Standards, I must offer a blanket rejection of the standards and the process.


My nearly 30 years in education and my scholarship in the fields of education and literacy have led me to view



Mathews Turns on National Standards? (Sort of) pt. 2

About national standards WaPo's Jay Mathews is now saying, "It sounds great. But it won’t help and won’t work," in "Good riddance to new national standards."

But momentum, blind momentum, keeps the national standards and national testing not just on the radar, but a reality facing our public schools destined to increase the harm done by thirty years of accountability, standards, and testing spurred by A Nation at Risk. While it sounds compelling, calling for core standards and higher standards must be rejected:

A case against standards

While I appreciate the invitation to respond to the draft version of the NCTE/NCATE Standards, I must offer a blanket rejection of the standards and the process.