Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, September 5, 2011

Technology Does Not Equal 21st Century Learning | Connected Principals

Technology Does Not Equal 21st Century Learning | Connected Principals:

Technology Does Not Equal 21st Century Learning

Picture: leftyparent.com

As our school embarks on a mission to become more of a 21st Century school combined with the fact that we are now a Google Apps school I have gotten a number of questions about technology and our dependency on it. One answer I gave is that I am sure there were glitches with the printing press but they didn’t get rid of that and the same is true with technology. it is not perfect and there will be glitches but that doesn’t mean we should get rid of it.

In a different conversation I had it became clear to me that the person assumed that technology is the same as 21st Century learning.

That prompted in my mind the following response.

For example finding something on the Internet in not necessarily 21st century learning. Having students research something or come up with questions and use the Internet as a resource for their research or their inquiry is