Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Walking to School: I thought I knew TFA but...

Walking to School: I thought I knew TFA but...

I thought I knew TFA but...

Teach for America (TFA) sounded like a good idea the first time I heard about it. Get the best and brightest into hard-to-staff classrooms and hope their experiences stick and then "the best" will make a career out of helping our neediest children.

It is appealing in the same way the selfless programs of the "Peace Corps" and "Americorps" from the Kennedy era of asking what can we do for our country appealed to my sense of humanity.

But in practice TFA has left much to be desired. After extensive reading, it's clear the revolving door of TFA recruits damages students in urban areas, destroys the community of a school, and has a 'wolf in sheep's clothing' agenda to change education policy