Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Kids as Commodities: Virtual Learning and Real Profits | Dissident Voice

Kids as Commodities: Virtual Learning and Real Profits | Dissident Voice

Kids as Commodities: Virtual Learning and Real Profits

They never surrender when there is still loot to be had. If nothing else, our American army of Privateers continue to find wildly creative methods to continue extracting wealth from the declining Empire. And sometimes the windfalls can come from little children.
I was sitting with my young daughter as she watched a program on television the other day. No, I’m not perfect — I haven’t slung the TV out the window like a person probably should. And, yes, I allow her to watch a show now and then. This particular one is called “Rescue Heroes” and they pretty much just go around rescuing people whether they like it or not. And they tell kids not to start fires. That seems reasonable. So, yeah, I let her





Mass Movements in the USA Today

What does it take to build a popular movement that has a chance of succeeding in its objectives? I thought about this a good bit during my recent vacation in the West Virginia mountains.
I’ve been personally involved in several mass movements over the course of my adult life: the draft resistance and anti-Vietnam war movements in the late 60s and early 70s; the very short, very small, but very successful mass movement to impeach/remove President Richard Nixon in 1973-74; the 1980’s Rainbow Coalition movement; the third party movement of the 90’s; the global justice movement in the first years of this century; the movement to end the Iraq war of the past decade; and the climate movement that has been building since about 2005.
Based on these experiences, these are what I would see as the essential components of a genuinely popular