Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Missouri Education Watchdog: What Do Tiger Mothers and Tiger Educators Have in Common?

Missouri Education Watchdog: What Do Tiger Mothers and Tiger Educators Have in Common?

What Do Tiger Mothers and Tiger Educators Have in Common?

This is from Ann Althouse about children coming of age between the 1950's through the 1970's.

"I am a child of the 1970s. What that means, in short, is that my childhood summer vacations were spent..."

"... languishing in front of the TV watching Phil Donahue and eating Boo Berry until my skin turned purple. Nobody cared if I read. Nobody cared if I wore sunscreen, or pants. I was like a house cat; my parents barely even knew if I was still living with them or whether I had moved in with the old lady down the street who would put out a bowl of food for me. In the '70s, parenting was like a combination of intense crate-training and rumspringa, so I would typically spend June through