Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, April 15, 2011

students first? Lighting My Own Torch

Lighting My Own Torch


Because Michelle Rhee has chosen to delete and moderate comments at her studentsfirst.org/blog site, I have decided to mirror her posts and allow unmoderated commenting. Go for it. (Rheelinks link to original)

As of March 25, 2011 it appears blog comments have been shut down at studentsfirst dot org. Comment here!!

FRIDAY, APRIL 15, 2011

Lighting My Own Torch

Rheelink
I watched the Oprah Winfrey episode with Michelle Rhee back in December of 2010. As I sat on my couch avoiding a looming homework assignment, I felt inspired more than ever to be a part of this movement. So, I went to the website and I joined Student'sFirst. I was definitely going to be a part of the first million to sign up.
Now what? I am the Chief Executive Officer of WFH Inc. (Wills Family Household) and while the title decorates my name quite nicely, the pay... Well let's just say I do it for the love. I can't donate thousands of dollars and when exactly was I planning on advocating for yet another cause? Somewhere in between tomorrow’s dental appointment, next week’s homework assignment and the weekly chore of cleaning the house. Let's not forget the church events and the play date scheduled for this weekend. It seemed impossible. That was until last week.
I received the email that Michelle Rhee would be attending a forum at Spelman