Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, April 15, 2011

Daily Kos: The last day before Spring Break

Daily Kos: The last day before Spring Break

The last day before Spring Break

and normally I would be looking forward to the end of the school day. I cannot.

Yesterday a former student was walking by my room during my planning period. The door was open and music was playing. He stopped. He commented that it was nice music, and I told him what it was. He seemed down, and mentioned that things were hard for him right then. He did not explain why.

When I glanced at my Facebook page in the evening I found out why - he had sent me an invitation - to his father's funeral tomorrow morning.

Later the event was updated to include the viewings this afternoon, for which most at school will not be able to come. The first is 2-4, the second, 5-9 (which will overlap with Coffee House, where student groups perform, and in which he has often been active). His mother said it would be okay to stop by in between.

I can think of nothing more important to do than to stop by - I can get to the end of the first viewing, and I am attempting to arrange my schedule to be able to attend the funeral tomorrow morning.