Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, March 13, 2011

DemocracyForAmerica.com » Netroots Nation Scholarships » teacherken

DemocracyForAmerica.com » Netroots Nation Scholarships » teacherken

Scholarship Application Public Information

Ken_bernstein_hs_thumb

teacherken

Name:teacherken
Location:Arlington, VA
longtime member of Dkos. Teacher/blogger/activist/writer Sr citizen Quaker - desperately wanting to be with my blog friends again
Add your support

The blogs I use most are

Education Policy Blog
Dirties Hippies

A little about me

I am a teacher. I write regularly about education, but also about human rights, the environment, education,, music and whatever else may catch my attention. I believe it is still possible to save this country from those whose greed and selfishness are destroying it. I act as if we can still make difference even in the face of news that could drive us to despair. Volunteer @ free dental clinics in Appalachia. Trying to make a difference with what is left of my life.

I would describe myself as a

blogger

Why I deserve a Netroots Nation Scholarship

As a teacher my pay has been cut by $8,800 this year. I cannot afford to come on my own. I attended 2006-09, running panels at the first 3 events. I Been a member of Daily Kos since late 2003 - UID 4334 - and m a regular participant in community diaries like Brothers & Sisters and the Feeding America blogathons. I believe I bring something of value to the events, even when not on a panel. I would like to come. I cannot come without help. Whether that means I deserve a scholarship is not for me to say. I thought I should try, as it is the only way I can afford it.

What first inspired me to get involved

in Dec '56 at age 10 family went to Miami Beach for the holiday and I saw segregation up close for the first time. That made me a committed liberal and a political activist.

As for blogging, began by participating in edu
cation list serves almost 2 decades ago. Was regular partic in Dean blog during 2003. Over T;giving wkend volunteered for Dean in NH and someone introduced me to Daily Kos. Been there ever since.

How I've gotten others involved

Have written about free dental/medical clinics at which I have volunteered and inspired others also to volunteer. in 2006 wrote extensively about Jim Webb's campaign and got people to support - time as well as money. More recently was the first to blog about the threat to Raul Grijalva's reelection, at a time when most people took it for granted. Would like to think that played some role in helping him raise money and in getting others also to help him. Just a few examples.

The diary I am most proud of

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/07/24/556104/-I-am-so-tempted-to-violate-copyright

Why I think participation in the blogosphere is important

It is a way of connecting/sharing/participating/supporting/communicating/organizing

More about my involvement with DFA and local work

I am not currently an active DFA member. I was in the past. I volunteer as the union leader for my building, which this year takes immense amounts of time.

More about my volunteer work

Not involved in a campaign right now. In recent years have done a variety of things for campaigns in Virginia - policy work, phone calls, normal office work, working polls, staffing lit tables - as well writing online on their behalf. Among those were Webb for Senate, Perriello for Congress, Deeds for Virginia Governor, Chap Petersen for State Senate, O'Leary for Treasurer. At a nationl level serve as a resource on education for several dozen Democratic office holders and candidates for federal office. I am active member of my local chapter of the National Education Association, serving as lead building representative for more than 100 teachers, as well as representing the 8000+ members on a task force with key people in central administration.

My Twitter manifesto on online activism

blogging informs & connects people, communicates impt info, helps raise $$ - online activism helps focus offline activism

My suggested bumper sticker slogan

Teachers open doors to the possible

My idea for a cool new online action

Don't have anything "wild and crazy" - try to inform people about issues and suggest ways they can help - free dental/medical clinics - volunteering, donating, helping get one in your area