Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, December 10, 2010

Queens Teacher: Teachers College Not for ELLs & Struggling Students

Queens Teacher: Teachers College Not for ELLs & Struggling Students

Teachers College Not for ELLs & Struggling Students

A follower of Queens Teacher left this great comment that I thought captures the problem with Teachers College Reading & Writing Project quite well.

Anonymous said...

It's the day after Thanksgiving and I had a wakeful night thinking about the strugglers in my first grade class. I should give it a rest for the weekend, but the stakes are too high...

I teach in a Title One school in Brooklyn, NY with a high Special Ed and ELL population. My frustration with TC is that its methods don't adequately address the needs of kids who are coming in with low household literacy, are learning English, and have limited background knowledge. TC's non-content approach leaves many of these