Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, December 10, 2010

The Answer Sheet - Valerie vs. Jay on Teach for America, KIPP, etc.

The Answer Sheet - Valerie vs. Jay on Teach for America, KIPP, etc.

Valerie vs. Jay on Teach for America, KIPP, etc.

My friend and incomparable colleague Jay Mathews came up with the idea for us to have a little debate. He was, he said, "irked" by something I wrote in a column about Teach for America. Here's how explains how he came up with the idea, and following that, is our debate. Tell me what you think. Here is how Jay introduced the debate on his great Class Struggle blog: My colleague Valerie Strauss, czarina of the irresistible The Answer Sheet blog on washingtonpost.com, and I rarely get to see each other. She works in the big newsroom on 15th St. NW in Washington. For many years I was across the Potomac in the Post’s Alexandria bureau. Now I work in a spare bedroom of my house in Bethesda, with the two family cats walking over my keyboard. But we do have interesting arguments, and occasionally share them with readers. Here