Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Free Technology for Teachers: If It Was My Home - Oil Spill Visualization

Free Technology for Teachers: If It Was My Home - Oil Spill Visualization

If It Was My Home - Oil Spill Visualization

If It Was My Home is a simple site that allows you to quickly compare the current size of the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill to your city, county, state, or country. If It Was My Home is very similar to the Gulf Coast Oil Spill Mapcreated by Paul Rademacher that I wrote about in early May. The difference between the two is Rademacher's map uses the Google Earth Browser Plugin while If It Was My Home uses the standard Google Maps interface. Below is an image of a map comparing the current size of the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill to the size of South Paris, Maine where I work.














Applications for Education
If It Was My Home relies on the Google Maps interface instead of the Google Earth Browser Plugin which means If It Was My Home doesn't require anything other than a standard web browser to access the service. This difference is significant if you work in a school that doesn't allow you to install anything on the school's computers.

Here are some related items that may be of interest to you: