Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

What Do LAUSD and Haiti Have In Common? - Perdaily.com

What Do LAUSD and Haiti Have In Common? - Perdaily.com

What Do LAUSD And Haiti Have In Common?

lausd-c-logo-copy.png
After spending 5 months on paid administrative leave from my teaching job at LAUSD for reporting a corrupt graduation, I am looking forward to spending several months out of Los Angeles. Hopefully, and with the help of the Internet, I will still be able to post and receive stories for perdaily. My number one choice is to spend the summer in Haiti helping the country rebuild after an earthquake and over 400 years of racist polices designed to keep Haiti on its knees. In doing research about how I could be most effective in helping Haiti with my automotive and construction skills, I discovered that although billions of dollars are given to non-governmental organizations (NGOs), little changes on the ground in Haiti because little is done to create the infrastructure necessary for self-sufficiency in lieu of continued dependence. This reality was covered in their usual excellence by NPR's This American Life last weekend in a story entitled Island Time.

Knowing my obsession, are you folks ahead of me on this post? LAUSD and Haiti have much more in common than earthquakes and institutional racism. Both Haiti and LAUSD continue to expend vast sums of money and have nothing to show for it, because they do nothing to empower the people, while only spending