Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, March 22, 2010

Jerry Large | Minding the young brain | Seattle Times Newspaper

Jerry Large | Minding the young brain | Seattle Times Newspaper

Minding the young brain

The title of a talk John Medina is giving Wednesday caught my attention: "Brain Rules for Parents. " Would he be talking about how to preserve one's own mind, while rearing children?

The title of a talk John Medina is giving Wednesday caught my attention: "Brain Rules for Parents."

Would he be talking about how to preserve one's own mind, while rearing children?

Hmm ... why was that the first thought that flashed through my brain?

Actually, Medina will talk about helping children develop and grow.

Medina is a developmental molecular biologist and research consultant. He is an affiliate professor of bioengineering at the University of Washington School of Medicine and director of the Brain Center for Applied Learning Research at Seattle Pacific University.

I wrote about his book "Brain Rules" last year. He's always fun to talk with, so I called and gave him a break from grading papers.

"The question I get asked all the time," he told me is, "how do I get my kid into Harvard?"

He's too polite to roll his eyes, and besides, he understands this is a very competitive society. So he tries to answer.

"If you want to get your kid into Harvard, go home and love your wife, love your husband, love your partner," he said.