Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, March 22, 2010

Finding Distinction � InterACT

Finding Distinction � InterACT

Finding Distinction

MARCH 22, 2010

Kind. Innovative. Fun. Challenging. Unique.

I’m sitting at a small table surrounded by a group of enthusiastic fourth grade students. Hands are raised and waving, extending from little bodies that keep bouncing up and down in small chairs. I don’t remember ever being this anxious to have my name called to answer a question.

The question I posed to this active crew was, “What is the one word that best describes your school?”

I can’t resist the boy, who almost looks like he is in pain as his entire body contorts in a bundle of thrusting arms and shaking legs. Maybe he needs a hall pass to the restroom. No, he just wants to shout out his answer: “Amazing!” And that word perfectly defines my own experience on his campus this warm spring day in March.

As 2010 California Teacher of the Year, I am part of a validation team for the California Distinguished Schools honors program. Prior to visiting two of the schools in San Diego County, I read through their applications, which highlight the signature practices they deem as “distinguished.” The applications were impressive with some common themes, but the schools seemed very different on paper. The first, an urban elementary school, located a few miles from downtown San Diego, receives Title I funding and has historically struggled with low-test scores