Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Continuing Education: Even with allies, the conversation about LGBT equality never ends: - Opinion - News at Metro Weekly magazine - Washington DC gay/lesbian newspaper, fashion, issues, trends, shopping.


Continuing Education: Even with allies, the conversation about LGBT equality never ends: - Opinion - News at Metro Weekly magazine - Washington DC gay/lesbian newspaper, fashion, issues, trends, shopping.:

"Particularly around the holidays, we are ceaselessly implored to have conversations with our families about our sexual orientation. Ditch that reindeer sweater for a Task Force T-shirt at the family's Christmas party. If Aunt Pearl asks you to pass the Thanksgiving gravy, ask her to pass a marriage-equality measure. And if any relations announce a wedding engagement, ask them if how they can sleep at night celebrating their joy at our expense.

I never worried much about the push to preach to my family. It's not that I don't think it's important. Rather, my family is already progressive. Sure, there's that one cousin in California who gets a little holier-than-thou with his right-wing rants, but his mother has far more social sway and was vocal in her Prop 8 opposition. My teens-to-20s straight nephews don't bat an eye at the notion of gay Uncle Will. My little sister is likely peeved that marriage equality may be coming to D.C., as that makes it far less likely I'll venture to her New Haven, Conn., home to get married. And Mom never hesitates to halt a conversation among her peers that's taken a homophobic turn with, 'My son is gay, and I support him. And his partner.'"