Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, May 5, 2014

5-5-13 Curmudgucation Week

CURMUDGUCATION:







Two More Excerpts from My Book, A Chronicle of Echoes
On April 27, 2014,  I announced my book, A Chronicle of Echoes: Who’s Who in the Implosion of American Public Education. Here is the book description: “Corporate reform” is not reform at all. Instead, it is the systematic destruction of the foundational American institution of public education. The primary motivation behind this destruction is greed. Public education in […]


Defending the Core in OK
Sherry Labyer is superintendent of Duncan Public Schools out in Oklahoma. She has occasionally taken issue with Reformsters in her state, particularly over the use of letter grades for schools. But she loves her some Common Core, and as Oklahoma has wrangled over the future of CCSS (several bills have been floated to repeal, leash, hamstring and otherwise interfere with the Core), Ms. Labyer penne

An Educated Person
"Don't you think there are things that every educated person should know?"I hear this fairly often, generally in response to my stated disinterest in having Common Core standards in particular and  national education standards ever in general. It's an eye-opening question for me , because even just a few years ago, I'm pretty sure I would have answered yes. But the current toxic educatio


5-4-13 Curmudgucation Week
CURMUDGUCATION: A Real RaceMy wife is a runner. I love my wife. That's why I woke up this morning at 4:45 in a Pittsburgh hotel.We did this last year, but last year she ran the full marathon; this year she's a first-year first-grade teacher who lacks the time to train, to put in the 147 hours of prep required for six-year-olds, and to occasionally hang out with me. So this year she ran the half ma