Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, May 5, 2014

5-5-14 Schools Matter

Schools Matter:








KIPP Denies Access to Memphis KIPP Schools: Former Teacher Tells All
When I presented a paper on KIPP at AERA in New Orleans a few years back, an audience member asked me if I had ever visited a KIPP school.  I answered, no, that I had not, any more than I had visited the concentration camps that came to light after WW II.  Nonetheless, I went on, we have a pretty good picture of what happened at those camps, and most everything we know came after the grisliest of


those brave new tests
Ed Week cheerfully reports field-tests for Smarter Balanced and PARCC tests are going jus' fine:"Early Reports Suggest Few Field-Testing Snags" [http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2014/05/06/30fieldtest_ep.h33.html?cmp=ENL-EU-NEWS1]I posted this comment: This "field-testing" seems to be mostly about technical aspects of implementation. I get the impression that analysis of the t
5-4-14 Schools Matter
Schools Matter: "Pressing needs" in American educationS. Krashen  Diane Ravitch recently observed that there has been a big hurry to implement the Common Core. In 2009, she urged the authors of the Common Core to field test it before implementation, advice they did not follow. Again in 2010, at the White House, she urged field testing, but officials "quickly dismissed the idea. They