Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

4-2-14 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL

Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL:





April’s Infographics & Interactives Galore – Part One
There are just so many good infographics and interactives out there that I’ve begun a new semi-regular feature called “Infographics & Interactives Galore.” You can see others at A Collection Of “The Best…” Lists On Infographics and by searching “infographics” on this blog. I’ll still be publishing separate posts to individually highlight especially useful infographics and interactives, but you

“How Can We Get All Students Participating More All The Time?”
How Can We Get All Students Participating More All The Time? is the new “question-of-the-week” at my Education Week Teacher column. Feel free to leave a response there or here in the comments….


I Interview Carol Tomlinson In My New BAM! Podcast
I interview Carol Tomlinson in my latest ten-minute BAM! Radio program on How Can We Differentiate Instruction More Effectively? As most would agree, there is no one more knowledgeable on differentiation than Carol, and it was a privilege interviewing her. Also look for her written contribution to a future column at my Education Week Teacher blog.


Our New ASCD Educational Leadership Article: “Teaching Argument Writing to ELLs”
My colleague Katie Hull-Sypnieski and I wrote wrote a lengthy and, if I say so myself , excellent article that has just been published by ASCD Educational Leadership. It’s titled Teaching Argument Writing to ELLs, and it discusses very practical ways to teach writing to Beginning, Intermediate and Advanced English Language Learners — especially in light of the new Common Core Standards. But I th


Bus Boycott “Choose Your Own Adventure” Game
The National Civil Rights Museum in Memphis is reopening this weekend after a $28 million renovation (see the NY Times article, From Slave Ship Shackles to the Mountaintop). That’s great news for people who live nearby or who can travel there for a visit. Unfortunately, it doesn’t appear they spent any of that money on providing web resources for people unlikely to go there in person. Their site

YESTERDAY

Video: “Sacramento Time Lapse”
I’m adding this video to The Best Websites To Learn About California:
Another Good Writing Prompt: Reconciliation
I have lots of useful resources at My Best Posts On Writing Instruction, and it’s also the place I collect posts about the writing prompts I use in my various classes. Here’s one I’m using in my class right now. We’re ending a unit on Nelson Mandela, but it can be used in other contexts, too. I can’t take credit for it, though. It was developed by my colleagues Lara Hoekstra, Katie Hull, and Cary
4-1-14 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL
Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL: Lingua.ly Launches App ELLs Might LikeI’ve previously posted about Lingua.ly, a very useful Chrome extension for people learning another language, including English (see Lingua.ly Is A Useful Tool For Second-Language Learners). In fact, it’s on The Best Websites For English Language Learner Students In 2013 list. They just