Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, March 17, 2014

3-17-14 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL

Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL:







This Week’s “Round-Up” Of Good Posts & Articles On Education Policy
Here are some recent useful posts and articles on educational policy issues: How ‘platooning’ and data walls are changing elementary school is from The Washington Post. I’m adding it to The Best Resources Showing Why We Need To Be “Data-Informed” & Not “Data-Driven.” I’ve previously posted about a series of excellent posts Marc Tucker has been writing at Education Week (see Several Excellent
My Parent Engagement Blog Has Been Growing In Popularity — You Might Want To Check It Out
I publish one new post everyday at my Engaging Parents In School blog, and it’s been rapidly-growing in popularity. In comparison to this blog, of course, it’s tiny, but I do think that blog is a one-of-kind resource on the Web. You might want to check it out if you get a chance…

“The Long Reach Of Reason” – It’s A Safe Bet That This New TED Talk Animation Will Be Shown In Every TOK Class
TED Talks has just unveiled a new animation titled “The Long Reach Of Reason.” Here’s how Chris Anderson at TED describes it: Two years ago the psychologist Steven Pinker and the philosopher Rebecca Newberger Goldstein, who are married, came to TED to take part in a form of Socratic dialog. Steven Pinker and Rebecca Newberger Goldstein: The long reach of reasonSteven Pinker and Rebecca Newberger


Here’s One More Small Thing I’m Doing To Help Students See The Importance Of Social Emotional Learning
As an advocate of helping our students develop Social Emotional Learning skills (as well as a critic of SEL manipulation), I’m also looking for new ways to reinforce them. Today, I tried something new and it seemed to go pretty well. I invited students in my mainstream ninth-grade English classes to do an extra credit (yes, I’m not a total believer in intrinsic motivation) project researching up


Learn English By Reading About Eating Bugs At My Latest NY Times Post
Learn about eating bugs, categorizing words, and using online tools to create “word webs” in my latest New York Times post for English Language Learners. It includes a student interactive and teaching ideas. You can see all my previous NY Times posts here.
3-16-14 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL
Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL: Videos Of The WeekIn yet another effort to get at my backlog of resources to share, I recently began this feature to share useful videos. I’ll still periodically highlight certain ones on their own, but the rest will be found on this regular post: Here’s an interesting video with Neil Degrasse Tyson that might, or might not