Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, October 21, 2013

Award Winning School Faces "Eviction" | Lily's Blackboard

Award Winning School Faces "Eviction" | Lily's Blackboard:

Lily's Blackboard Rotating Header Image

The Most Beautiful People Edition…Coming from a Public School Near You

I once teased our NEA President, Dennis Van Roekel, that one, fine day People Magazine would issue their Most Beautiful Union Presidents editions, and I’d nominate him.  This month, we made it.
Well.  Not Most Beautiful Union Presidents.  That eludes us still.  But something infinitely more beautiful (no offense, Dennis.)  This month People Magazine (October 28, 2013) will highlight 8 educators who have achieved amazing and beautiful things for their students.  I served on the selection committee, and I will admit that I have a love-hate (ok, not so much “hate” as “concern”) with awards like this.

My concern grows from the time I was named a Utah Teacher of the Year.  I was concerned when some in the press asked me questions like, “How does it feel to be designated the best teacher in Utah?”  Which was