Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, October 21, 2013

The “Ed Schools are the Problem” Fallacy | School Finance 101

The “Ed Schools are the Problem” Fallacy | School Finance 101:

The “Ed Schools are the Problem” Fallacy

Posted on October 21, 2013
Slide1

I had the displeasure of waking up to this drivel in my in-box this morning:
“Those who can, do. Those who can’t, teach. And those who can’t teach, teach teaching.”
yeah… and those completely lacking in critical thinking, basic research and data interpretation skills write op-eds for the Times.
I don’t really teach teachers myself, so I guess I shouldn’t take offense. But I do mainly because the core argument advanced here is so ill-informed and poorly conceived.
Allow me to start by pointing out that I have actually written detailed, quantitative research in peer reviewed journals on the very topic of who’s teaching the teachers. In fact, the article we wrote was done partly in response to the Arthur Levine report cited in the Times op-ed piece. And it’s not as if the article title really conceals its contents:
  • Wolf‐Wendel, L., Baker, B. D., Twombly, S., Tollefson, N., & Mahlios, M. (2006). Who’s