Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, February 8, 2013

NYC Educator: The Back of the Class Kid

NYC Educator: The Back of the Class Kid:


The Back of the Class Kid

 by Recovering ATR 

I have a student, let's call him Tom, who from day one of my class mastered the art of taciturnity. He's one of those teens for whom speaking is just too much to ask. Silent, back of the class all the time, barely ever cracks a smile. But he did his work and his home work and I figured I should just let him be. He also scored very high scores on all my tests, when the rest of the class was struggling to kick out 65's or 75's. Not a surprise that even though he's in a remedial class he scored very high on the January test as well. Clearly somewhere in the totally silent, introverted head of his was a brain.

Today I walked by his usual spot in the back of the