Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, January 12, 2013

The Evaluation: schooling at the end of teaching, unions, & care « Cooperative Catalyst

The Evaluation: schooling at the end of teaching, unions, & care « Cooperative Catalyst:


The Evaluation: schooling at the end of teaching, unions, & care

The EvaluationNearly sixth months ago, I posted “The Evaluation,” a near-future science fiction short story imagining public school teaching as day-labor inside a techno-bureaucratic panopticon.
Since then, I’ve tried to hold myself accountable for posting about the work that my kids and I do together, which I love and in which I believe. I want to take the energy I’ve put into criticizing “what is” and channel it instead into documenting and sharing “what (I think) should be.”
At the same time, I’ve been writing more of “The Evaluation.” It’s the piece of writing that has most sustained my interest and attention.
Sometimes, I try to be clever just to be clever; it’s a flaw (one of many). I had this big plan to gamify a release of the story at EduCon 2.5. Interoffice mail envelopes addressed to